***Step 3***: Receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost (evidence: speaking in tongues)
· --John 3:6-8 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again. The WIND blows where it wishes, and you hear its SOUND, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."
And it happened for the first time.
· --Acts 2:1-4 AND when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a SOUND from heaven as of a rushing mighty WIND, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to ***SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES***, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
****Compare John 3:6-8 and Acts 2:1-4 (HINT: Wind and Sound)****
· --Acts 19:1-6 “And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them: and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.”
· --Act 10: 44-48 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all of them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
What happened when they received the Holy Ghost? They spoke with tongues.
What was the wind and sound Jesus was talking about? The birth of the spirit in Act chapt. 2!
1. Repent (turn away from your sins).
2. Birth of Water - Be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ (for remission of sins).
3. Birth of Spirit - Receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (Evidence: speaking in tongues).
To see what happened after I was born again, read "What God Did For Me" Part 1